Why Talentless Nana is better than Death Note


The Munou na Nana (Talentless Nana) anime is dumb, but I mean that in the best possible way. Whether or not the Death Note anime actively encourages its viewers to take it seriously, its fans certainly have a tendency to embrace that perspective and hold it in high regard. Continue reading more information about this article.

I recognize that it's somewhat unfair to judge an anime based on its fans, but even after more than a decade, it's still hard to separate Death Note from its fandom, so I think the association is at least justified. Munou na Nana, on the other hand, started watching basically on a whim after seeing this warning on Twitter. Immediately afterward came warnings that the manga is relatively under-rated and also still ongoing, suggesting that the anime's conclusion of a single course is likely to be disappointing.

Whether that's the case or not, at least I'm enjoying Munou na Nana a lot at the moment. It's kind of silly, and the juxtaposition between the internal monologues and the publicly presented exterior facades is probably overkill, but that's also part of why I enjoy the show. I don't take untalented Nana especially seriously, and I don't feel like I'm expected to. 

That definitely wasn't the case with Death Note, which was a good show despite its serious tone, but not a great show for that. Why am I comparing Talentless Nana and Death Note? Because both shows agree on one of the great truths that transcend anime: some people need to be killed.

Comments

Popular Posts